Saturday, July 30, 2011

Bummer . . .

I once stopped at the ATM on the way to work, on a morning in which I had about five errands to run before I got to the office.  I was flustered and in a hurry and somehow managed to walk away from the ATM without taking my card, without even closing the transaction.  When I got to work, I realized what happened, that I didn't have my card, and so looked immediately at my account online.  The person behind me in line had taken $200 (the maximum) out of my account.


This bewildered me to no end.  If you or I found someone's card still in the ATM machine, we'd be running off down the street after them, saying "Excuse me!  You left your card!"  I don't understand the mentality of someone who sees such a thing and immediately says to themselves, "Whoa -- a golden opportunity."  What kind of person is ready to just take advantage of someone instantly, if the opportunity arises?  I wonder how that person is brought up -- certainly not the way I was, because I feel guilty finding a $20 bill on the floor in a store and even thinking about keeping it.


Of course, we can always be wrong about people.  I had a student once that impressed me -- the wrong way -- on the first day of class.  Wife-beater t-shirt, tattoos all over, my immediate thought was oh, this guy's in class because he's not doing well with his writing and was told he'd better do something about it . . . here's where stereotypes can be wrong.  He turned out to be a wonderful writer, the best student in the class, one that I would from time to time have to say "John (pseudonym), please give someone else the opportunity to answer."  I ran into him in the parking garage one day, and said hey, what's up, and he told me he was going over to the corporation yard to return a wallet he'd found, one that had $200 in it.  When I saw him in class later, I said, did the guy give you a reward?  And his answer was well, he offered me $60 but I didn't take it -- I just wanted to do the right thing.  


So all of this is apropos of what?  The other night, someone went into my car and stole my iPod.  They went through everything, left the car doors open (the policeman says they always do that -- closing them makes noise).  They also stole our daughter's bike, but abandoned it when they found out one of the tires was flat.  Luckily, for some reason, they didn't go into my loved one's car, because they could have had a Kindle, in addition to his iPod.


Unfortunately, our daughter has some rather unsavory acquaintances, and I suspect it was some of them.  These kids stole a $5000 custom-made bike from a guest of the guy across the street, in broad daylight.  The guy eventually got some of the parts back, because the bike was broken up, and they went to juvenile hall over it.  But what I don't understand, if it was the same kids who stole my iPod, is how you can steal from your neighbors, people who say hello to you and would help you any time you needed it.  And their parents defend them.  I just don't get it.


Here's a flower to brighten up a gloomy post:




Trying out some new textures that Evelyn at Within My Focus alerted me to -- two of the textures I used are from Pixel Dust, the other from Flypaper, my favorites.

Have a great weekend --

Oh, P.S., the bank gave me back the $200, and I think they caught the guy.  And I have a new iPod -- I can't live without my audiobooks at this point.  I hope they enjoy the 27-hour biography of Dietrich Bonhoeffer I was right in the middle of.

Oh, and I thought I'd hook up with Camera Critters,  with a picture of our Little Buttercup, who is growing by leaps and bounds.  Four pounds, now!



Oh, to be able to sleep so sweetly!

10 comments:

Sandy Kessler said...

a-d-o-r-a-b-le

nonizamboni said...

You just never know about people, \sigh\
but Buttercup is amazingly cute. My daughter used to call their little pink pads 'pork and beans.'

Elise Ann Wormuth said...

Oh, how cute -- pork and beans. She really is adorable -- we feel that our lives have changed for the better, now that we have her. Thanks for the comments!

Unknown said...

the texture on the photo is lovely.buttercup is too cute!

TexWisGirl said...

sorry for your woes! at least the story of your student shows there's still great folks in this world.

and your kitten is adorable. love her little pink foot pads.

Elise Ann Wormuth said...

thanks so much --

Tatjana Parkacheva said...

There are bad and good people in this world. I wish you to meet many good people like the student from your class.
Your cat is so adorable.

Regards!

Jill said...

Oh my gosh! I just fell in love. Buttercup is precious. Love your flower shot.

I am so sorry for the misfortunes you had to endure during the week. I'm with you..I don't get it. Such a good lesson in regards to your student though..thank goodness for people like him.

Unknown said...

It does make you wonder. I found a $20 in our yard and we're in the middle of nowhere, quite strange and quite uncomfortable not knowing what to do with it!

hootnonny said...

The lovely floral and white kitty cheered me up after reading your post!:-) Wonderful story about the young man who refused the reward for doing the right thing. Once the person in front of me at the anytime teller left her card and drove off, talking on her cell phone. The bank was open so I gave it to the drive-in teller.